The Museum is housed in Grade 1 listed almshouses built in 1714 and financed by Sir Robert Geffrye, a wealthy merchant. The almshouses were purchased by London City Council and the buildings and their extensive gardens were transformed into The Geffrye Museum in 1914. Over the decades, the Museum expanded from exhibitions dedicated to furniture displays to looking at living room displays and the history of domestic life and everyday things, becoming the Geffrye Museum of the Home in 2011. This year, it will reopen with new galleries, learning spaces, a café and a collections study room as Museum of The Home.
As part of the expansion, Access Floors worked closely with the main contractor’s specialist heritage division and their appointed architects to provide a raised floors design solution that would enable a considerable amount of ducting and plant room equipment to be housed in the basement rooms of the Grade 1 listed almshouses.
Adopting a raised floors solution allowed the extensive cabling and utilities to be concealed beneath the flooring and therefore avoid significant alterations to the structure of the historical buildings. The flooring solution also offers the Museum’s the flexibility to easily maintain existing services and accommodate future requirements.
Working within a 150m2 space, Access Floors supplied and installed Kingspan RMG 600 access flooring, which took into account the limited floor void space available in the historic building. Access Floors also designed bespoke bridging steels.