25May

Key Facts About the Steel Industry

The industry directly employs more than two million people worldwide, with a further two million contractors and four million people in supporting industries.

India, Brazil, South Korea and Turkey have all entered the top ten steel producers list in the past 40 years.

Steel is the main material used in delivering renewable energy – solar, tidal and wind.

Steel products can be recycled infinitely without loss of strength.

All steel created as long ago as 150 years can be recycled and used in new products and applications.

Almost 200 billion cans of food are produced each year. Steel cans mean saving energy as refrigeration is not needed. Cans mean tamper-free and safe food, nutritional value and beneficial environmental impact from recycling.

Steel looks after our health. Steel surfaces are hygienic and easy to clean. Surgical and safety equipment and commercial kitchens are all made with steel.

New lightweight steel construction is dramatically changing the market. In 1937, 83,000 tonnes of steel were needed to build the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco. Today, only half of that amount would be required.

Approximately 25% of an average computer is made of steel. Over 305 million PCs were sold in 2012.

Steel parts are more dent resistant and are up to 30 percent stronger than they were a decade ago. Metaldeck’s steel flooring is produced from high yield steel improving span and performance.

It takes more than 40 trees to build a wood-framed home. It takes approximately four recycled cars to frame a typical 2000 sq. ft. house.

Steel is an important alloy that is created from a mixture of metals, mostly iron. There are many different types of steel including stainless steel, galvanized steel and carbon steel. Steel is commonly used to make a number of products including knives, machines, train rails, cars, motors and wires as well as steel floor decking.

Steel often melts at around 1370 degrees C (2500°F).

Steel can be soft at 538°C (1,000°F) well below the burning temperature of jet fuel.

Steel was first used for Skyscrapers in 1883.

Steel recycling is more than paper, plastic, glass, copper, lead, and aluminium recycling combined.

All steel cans contain a minimum 25% recycled content. The remaining 75% recycled steel is used around the world for construction of bridges, automobiles, as well as wind turbines.

When you buy steel, you’re always buying recycled.

Steel productivity has more than tripled since the early 1980s.

Steel can be around 1000 times stronger than iron in its pure form.

For every direct job, steel creates seven jobs in other economic sectors.

Posted by admin  Posted on 25 May 
  • facts, information, steel, technical